One day before:
Simmer vinegar, water and sugar in a pot and allow to cool. Thinly slice the fennel using a mandoline and add to the brine along with freshly chopped dill. Marinade in the fridge overnight.
- Peel your carrots and drizzle with a dash of olive oil.
- Bake in the oven at 185°c for about 15-20 minutes until they are cooked all the way through but not too soft.
- Grab a bowl and mix Japanese soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and liquid smoke. Cut the nori sheets thinly and combine.
- When the carrots have cooled completely, use a mandoline to make long and fairly thin strips of the carrot. Add these to the smokey marinade.
- Finely chop a desired amount of capers (non-pareilles) and add to a bowl. Whisk these into Creamy Spread Original with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Julienne the red onion as thinly as possible and cut up a few wedges of lemon.
- Time to assemble the bagel! Cut up the bagel and apply a generous amount of spread on both halves. Top with carrots, red onion, pickled fennel, dill, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Wrap the bagel in sandwich paper and toast it in a panini grill until it’s lightly brown and toasty.
- Slice the bagel through the paper, and top it with some cocktail capers and a lemon wedge.